I promised you yesterday I would be sharing layouts all week long based on the challenges I wrote for the Splitcoast Stampers Toy Story VSBN, so here's another one. For the Barbie Dream House challenge, I asked participants to show us how they built their dream layout from the ground up, something I don't usually think much about, so it was fun to figure out what my process was for this layout!
1. I started with a sketch, which strongly influenced the elements I added to the layout.
2. I had originally picked some cardstock that matched my photo colors, but when I decided to use Washi tape instead for the diagonals, I just went with the assortment I had, so my color scheme totally changed.
3. In order to add a pop of brightness to my mellow color scheme, I searched through my paper stash for a bright patterned paper to accent my photo.
4. I found a journaling card to use in place of the notepaper on the sketch, and that led me to the stickers that coordinated with the journaling card - score!
5. The black stripe on the journaling card influenced me to make the banner and journaling black.
6. I couldn't find a star on my Cricut cartridges that had just an outline, so I had to learn how to use the center point function on my Cricut to get the star cut-out. Another score!
7. I wanted a title that reflected the excitement my dogs feel when they tear around the yard full speed, so "Pure Joy" seemed appropriate.
8. My final touch was a bit of journaling, just in case others didn't get the title!
Don't forget, the challenges will all be posted this week, but you have until the end of October to complete them, so jump in any time and play along!
Caboodle level 2 paper
Cashmere, Black, Slate & Honey cardstock
Juniper and Slate Washi tape
My Crush Besties Assortment stickers and journaling card
3-D foam tape
Cricut Art Philosophy cartridge; banner, stars
Pattern: Stuck Sketches October 1