Monday, August 15, 2022

Angel's Party Layout

It seems strange to think of this happy occasion as a tough time, but it was in the early stages of fostering our two youngest children, and that made for an awkward and uncomfortable afternoon with a bunch of people we barely knew. I still remember the frustration of being outside the circle of family that Brianna and Angel shared, as represented by the group picture where I am standing at the far edge and slightly apart from the group. I decided to scrap the photos as a 6"x8" back-to-back layout that will fit between the photos we took at Chuck E. Cheese before the birth family arrived several hours late.

The front layout is a more traditional and happy layout with my son blowing out the candles on the cake, while the flip side has a picture with shadows across it and some clouds over the sun. When you flip the center section up, it reveals the group picture and my journaling. I tried not to get into the whole story in my album, because I don't want to make my kids sad if they read about my feelings on that day, but I'm pretty sure they will never bother to read my blog, so I feel safe posting it here! I also used the "negative" of a sun that I found in my scrap box, and the background grey is darker on the back of the layout to go with my mood.

The front

The reverse with the flap closed

The reverse with the flap lifted up - adult faces are blurred for privacy reasons.

The journaling card on the back of the lifted up section

Recipe:
Friendship Word Puzzle, It's Your Day, Story FYI & Boutique Borders stamp sets
Stargazer papers
Pebble, Canary & White Daisy cardstock
Canary, Poppy, Pacifica, Sapphire & Pewter ink
Light Greg Fineliner pen (iBayam)
ShinHan Touch Twin markers
Stargazer enamel dots
Beautiful Friendship Complements banners
Sapphire baker's twine
Star punch (EK Success)
Cricut Artbooking cartridge: sun
Cricut Artiste cartridge: clouds
Pattern (first page): Sketch-n-Scrap #254 rotated right and adapted for 6" x 8" layout

Challenges: Lasting Memories #612 - 3 Things - striped patterned paper + stars + enamel dots; Challenge YOUrself #104 Tough Times 

Update: I was one of the top three participants in the Tough Times challenge!


10 comments:

Sharon Fritchman said...

Cheryl, I can only imagine the feelings you must have had that day. Your page is heartfelt and gorgeous. I am in awe of the beautiful layout you created. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us at Challenge YOUrself this month. HUGS!!!!

Sandy Ross said...

You are so brave Cheryl, you are my hero! Good for you to document this event even with mixed emotions! You created a beautiful layout! Another great job with our three things challenge! Thanks for playing along with us at Lasting Memories Layout Challenges!!!

Deanna said...

It's a wonderful take on the sketch, Cheryl! I love the stars and enamel dots! Thanks so much for joining us at Sketch N Scrap! :)

Lisa in Texas said...

I love this layout Cheryl! So difficult to document some of the "behind the scenes" times but you did an amazing job! I love the hidden journaling! Thanks for joining us this month at Sketch N Scrap!

Angela said...

That is a meaningful layout. Good for you to recognize the pain and talk about it.

Tracy P said...

Love your story and such a creative way to tell it. Love all the product and pictures. They blend perfect! Thank you for joining in with us at Challenge YOUrself.

Lori said...

You did an amazing job documenting a tough memory. Your layout is beautifully made. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Sketch N Scrap and at Lasting Memories!

Cook Scrap Craft said...

I like how you did the hidden journaling! I agree, sometimes I journal things that I don't necessarily want other people to read, but I need to get it done for myself. Great way to tell this story. Thanks for joining us at Challenge YOUrself!

Chris C said...

Wonderful job documenting your story! Great job with the hidden journaling, too. Thanks for joining us at Scrap N Sketch.

Kim said...

These are so heartfelt and beautiful. Thank you for sharing this with us at Challenge YOUrself.